Five Reasons to Visit the Yorkshire Dales in September and October...
Published: Monday 16th Sep 2013
Written by: Ben Abbott
It may be far from the maddening crowd but after the hustle and bustle of a busy summer season, the onset of Autumn can be the perfect time to actually make your own Dales getaway.The crowds have gone, yet there is still tail end of the summer sunshine to enjoy. The Yorkshire Dales cover miles and miles of open countryside and where better to see perhaps the most colourful time of year unfold in front of you?A romantic weekend getaway or more family fun with the kids, check out these five reasons to get out and about in the country's largest county.
1. The Masham Sheep Fair started when the area was a thriving market town and the tradition has developed into a top tourist attraction. Taking place over the weekend of 28 and 29 September there is sheep racing, fleece stalls, sheep dog demonstrations and for some liquid refreshment, tours of the Theakston and Black Sheep breweries.
2. Sticking with the outdoors, see the lesser spotted Red Squirrel on special walks at Kilnsey Park near Skipton. Walk through the enclosure before enjoying tea and cake in the cafe.www.kilnseypark.co.uk
3. Embrace the area's rich cultural heritage starting with the Richmond Walking and Book festival on Friday 20 September. Don walking boots and books for a mixture of guided walks and outdoor activities as well as talks and meet the author sessions.www.booksandboots.org
4. The Ingleton Folk Weekend brings frivolity and fun to the village between Friday 4 October and Sunday 6 October. There are gigs at pubs and clubs, workshops and performances from the reknowned Mighty Doonans and the Ceilidh Band.www.ingletonfolk.co.uk
5. The Ilkley Literature Festival is the perfect place for up and coming writers to put pen to paper. Taster sessions include how to write reviews and other events feature readings and speakers, many of whom are current authors. It runs from Friday 4 October until 20 October.www.ilkleyliteraturefestival.org.uk
To make the most of your getaway, let Ingrid Flute Holiday Cottages arrange your stay so that all you have to worry about is what to do first when you get there.