Walking holidays with Where2Walk
You're never far from a breathtaking walk in Yorkshire and so we've partnered with Where2Walk to bring you over 400 cottages in Yorkshire's most stunning locations so you can enjoy the best of what Yorkshire has to offer on foot. We've joined up with Jonathon Smith of Where2Walk, a local expert who has been walking the footpaths of Yorkshire all his life (you can usually cath him somewhere with his faithful companion Mist the Border Collie!). Here he shares his top tips to making the most of your stay in Yorkshire.
The benefits of walking in Yorkshire:
- Variety of landscape that is within an easy drive from any of the Yorkshire cottages: rolling hills, high moors, interesting valleys, riverside walking, pretty villages, market towns
- Empty: there are few people out on the footpaths compared to somewhere like the Lake District so a real sense of space, exploration and emptiness (in a positive way)
- Paths are excellent and in good condition, not over eroded
- History: Abbey walks, stone age settlements, lead/iron mining from the 19th century, smugglers/coastal, geological differences including limestone country.
- Some excellent mountains in the Dales including the ‘Dales 30 ‘
- In addition it is of course healthy and good fun!
How to make the most of your walking holiday:
- Take a navigation course, learn to read a map and use a compass and therefore enjoy walking further afield (special rates available for Ingrid Flute customers)
- Hire an expert guide for a day to show you the best places to walk or take you safely but further than you would normally go
- Challenge yourself and climb the mountains of the Dales 30.
The cottages below are our favourites for walking, with many close to famous walking routes or with beautiul trails right from the doorstep. Our team would be happy to offer any recommendations for places to stay, routes to meet your abilities or suggest great pubs along the routes! Call us on 01947 600700.
Askrigg, Yorkshire Dales
(No dates selected)£550 - £900
- Book and take a midweek break (excluding summer holidays) and receive a 25% discount at this unique getaway
- 4 Guests
- 1 Bedroom
- 1 Bathroom
- No Pets
- Hot tub
- Beach 44 miles
- Pub 2.6 miles
- Open fire or woodburner
Commondale, North York Moors
(No dates selected)£218 - £405
- This charming one bedroom cottage is one of three cottages that have been tastefully converted. Set in a fabulous courtyard location, within easy reach of the North York Moors and the Heritage Coastline.
- 2 Guests
- 1 Bedroom
- 1 Bathroom
- 1 Pet
- Pub 1 mile